Trauma Model Therapy Certification
The Trauma Model Therapy Certification Program is intended for Therapists and Counselors, which include but is not limited to: Ph.D., LPC, LCSW, SW, LMFT, and allied professionals in the fields of behavioral health and mental health. View a list of approved continuing education providers.
The instructors for Trauma Model Therapy Certification include: Colin A. Ross, M.D. and Melissa Caldwell Engle, MS, LPC, ATR. The level of the activity is intermediate and advanced.
Requirements for participating and completing The Ross Institute Trauma Model Therapy Certification Program:
- Certify you have completed a broad undergraduate and postgraduate education.
- Acquired a professional license or gathering internship hours.
- Established a clinical practice and have attended other continuing educational trainings and seminars.
The primary goals of the Ross Institute are:
- To engage in ongoing, scientific research in the fields of trauma, dissociation and other psychiatric disorders.
- To provide comprehensive curriculum for psychologists and other mental health professionals on the diagnosis, clinical features and treatment of the dissociative and the trauma model of psychopathology.
- To promote ethical and legal practice in the treatment of dissociation and other psychiatric disorders.
- To promote a high level of professional competence in the clinical field by exposing new areas of scientific inquiry and exploring innovative ways to incorporate established theoretical models in the treatment of psychiatric disorders.
- To increase the awareness in the mental health community of trauma related disorders.
The objectives of the Trauma Model Therapy Certification Program are:
- Describe the Trauma Model of severe psychopathology
- Describe the Spectrum of Emotions and its role in recovery
- Explain different affect management strategies
- Explain treatment techniques using the Trauma Model and Spectrum of Emotions
- Describe techniques through role play
- Explain the Victim Rescuer-Perpetrator Triangle
- Explain the Locus of Control Shift
- Explore "The Problem is Not the Problem" and Just Say "No" to Drugs
The Trauma Model Therapy Certification Program is a home study program. There is no time limit for completion of the program. All participants must purchase and read The Trauma Model: A Solution to the Problem of Comorbidity in Psychiatry; Trauma Model Therapy: A Treatment Approach for Trauma, Dissociation and Complex Comorbidity and eleven articles from peer reviewed psychiatric journals. Purchase and watch four DVD's on Domestic Violence, Eating Disorders, Therapy Role Play, and Trauma, Depression and Borderline Personality Disorder. Listen to one CD entitled "Self-Mutilation". Once you have read and reviewed all the materials you must pass a multiple choice exam with a minimum score of 75% and sign consent, waiver and release of liability form before obtaining Trauma Model Certification and/or CE credit.
54 clock hours for NBCC counselors and Texas State Social Workers
*Please note that 8.25% sales tax will be added to orders shipped to Texas.
Steps to obtain certification:
- Purchase and complete the training materials - $277.69.
- Purchase the certification - $121.00.
- Upon completion, mail a signed Waiver to the Ross Institute.
- Ross Institute will then mail you a set of multiple choice questions. Complete the multiple choice exam and achieve a minimum score of 75%.
- Return the MCQ exam to the Ross Institute.
- Ross Institute will then mail you a certificate of completion.
Required certification training materials:
- Trauma Model Therapy: A Treatment Approach for Trauma, Dissociation and Complex Comorbidity (Book)
- The Trauma Model: A Solution to the Problem of Comorbidity in Psychiatry (Book)
- The Link Between: Trauma, Depression & Borderline Personality Disorder (DVD)
- Therapy Role Play (DVD)
- Eating Disorders: Role Play of a Therapy Session (DVD)
- Domestic Violence: Role Play of a Therapy Session (DVD)
- Self-Mutilation: Therapy Session With Colin A. Ross, M.D. (CD)
- A Binder of Selected Papers (Included)
- Total Value: $277.69
You must purchase all of the training materials as a complete package at the Ross Institute Book Store. Complete descriptions and running times of all materials are available there, as well.
If you need assistance, please call Tere at 972-918-9588.
The Ross Institute will refund the entire certification cost including all materials if they are returned un-opened and un-used. All books, DVD's, and CD's are shrink wrapped. If items have been opened and you want a refund, we will refund the certification cost of $121.00, but we cannot refund any of the purchased materials once opened. The Ross Institute issues the certification. Participants purchase the books and DVD's through Manitou Communications, a separate company owned and operated by Colin A. Ross, M.D.